Monday, August 26, 2013

My Art at the ERIC CARLE MUSEUM

This weekend was very special to me because one of my dreams came true...my art was in a museum. Yes, it is temporary, but what a wonderful item to tick off my bucket list.


The Eric Carle Museum of Storybook Art is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, and features my favorite children's authors and artists: Mo Willems, Tomie dePaola, Tony DeTerlizzi, Maurice Sendack, Dr. Seuss and many others. There is a library and gift shop, and an art room for future Eric Carles. Take a virtual tour:

http://www.carlemuseum.org/Visit/Virtual_Tour

After reconnecting with a school friend David Rowinski, we knew we still had an artistic connection and decided to create a book based on a short story he told to a restless child. After rejecting many of my drawings, 
 
 
 we finally agreed on a style! It is a whirling and dream like depiction of a garden with many different animals, a look we thought might capture the attention of children and adults alike. Here is the first image sent to David:
 
Once this style was agreed upon, the rest of the pictures came easily. The week of July 4th found some of the images from The Open Pillow in a gallery in Westfield, NJ called Galeria West.
 
This past weekend David and I were featured at The Eric Carle Museum of Storybook Art for a special story time. David read the book and I gave the kids, and some grown ups, a quick art lesson.
 
 
We signed the author and illustrator's book, and felt very happy.


 
The summer is winding down, but hopefully The Open Pillow and my next book ART MOUSE are just getting started. :)
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment